Over the years, it is obvious that technology has hugely impacted students and how they complete assignments in and out of the classroom.
One of the biggest gateways for this is YouTube. This website can provide videos ranging from an educational lecture to learning a certain dance move. I know that I have used YouTube to look up videos on how to do things that can help me complete an assignment, or I am embedding videos into a blog like this. Because of YouTube's wide variety and many sources, students can learn so much from this website.
Another type of technology that I consider to be impactive to studying and in classes is texting. Along with texting is the increase of Twitter users. Texting is a main problem because students are texting in class, which affects how much they are paying attention to the teacher, but they are also texting each other either during class or after school to get answers to homework and tests. This causes problems because students are not doing their own work most of the time and they are not giving themselves a chance to learn on their own. With the new increase in the use of Twitter, students are always tweeting during class; possibly about their professor or maybe about how much they do not want to be in class. The main issue that both of these technologies cause is lack of attention and also a lack of learning by a lot of students.
The last technology I would like to touch on that I personally use is the connection of regular courses with online work. I had numerous classes last year that used programs like Aplia and this year I am using new programs like My Accounting Lab and Course Connect. Both these programs are great for professors because they are able to assign work that students can complete on their own time, but it is even better for the students because they are able to do a lot of extra work in order to understand the topic more. A lot of these programs also supply the students with resources that can help them clarify topics much better.
All in all, technology can be really great for students and professors but it can also be detrimental to learning.
i've caught myself not paying attention a couple of times because i was on facebook or on another site so i agree with the fact that it can hurt as well as help but it all depends on the student and if passing a class is more important than checking messages on facebook.
ReplyDeleteI like your title for this entry. I agree that youtube has become a great learning source and if your stuck on how to do something there is more than likely and instructional video on there to help.
ReplyDeleteYou make a good point about technology causing distractions, I often get online to research something and find myself pulling up facebook :/
ReplyDelete