Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Real World Proof that Social Networks are Dangerous

I know that I discussed the danger of social networks in one of my past blog posts and this article is the perfect example of how one simple post can result in the loss of a job. The only reason I feel it is fair that this employee lost their job is that Apple clearly lays out in their contract and during employee training that any kind of negative post is prohibited. To play devil's advocate, the only argument the employee would have is that Apple's guidelines may have not laid out specifically what would happen if an employee did post something negative.

Another part of it is common sense on the employee's part. Working for a huge company like Apple comes with restrictions and specific rules you have to follow. They have to do anything they can to protect their image, and restricting their employees from posting negative remarks about the company on Facebook is one of those restrictions. I think it is perfectly fair for Apple to implement this because they are just protecting the name and reputation of the company.

If I were in the employee's shoes, I would obviously be mad that I had just lost my job. I would also be upset about the fact that I lost my job over something as simple as a negative remark on a social network. I would feel like I am not trusted by my employer and that I can't say one thing without facing a consequence. However, being the employer brings a whole different perspective. The employer's number one priority is to look out for the business. It is just as important to look out for your employee's well being, but at the end of the day, you can't reward your employee's without having money come into the business.

It is hard seeing both sides but in the end, I think the employee has learned their lesson.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the Apple company has to uphold their standards, it doesn't represent the company well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the words do defame the company but someone lost their job which is also extremely serious. What about a strong warning and a demand for the removal of the post for first offense?

    ReplyDelete