Saturday, September 24, 2011

Those tweets about my boss...

In this day and age, almost every person you see walking down the street has a smartphone attached to their hand. People have become so used to using their phone as a way to connect with family and friends, but also a way to run their daily business lives. I know that I have my email come to my smartphone and because of that, I am constantly checking my phone and answering emails. The problem that researchers are coming to now is employees utilizing their smartphones at work to tweet or be on Facebook. This is a huge problem for employers because their employees are not working efficiently, and they do not know what these employees could be posting about.

Employers can easily get onto potential employees' Facebook pages and/or Twitter feeds and see everything that this person is writing about. I have heard countless stories where a person has gone in for an interview, and after the employer sees their Facebook page, the potential employee is no longer a potential. The technology is going to continue to get better and better, so it is time for employees to start watching what they say while in the workplace.




6 comments:

  1. I like that you picked this topic because so many of my professors tell us that we need to be careful about what we share on Facebook and Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelen, ABSOLUTELY! We are going to talk more about this in late October/early November but yes, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc all can be used as a hiring and firing tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you said. While technology can be so helpful for expanding a business, it can really hurt individuals who have a job or are looking for one if they aren't careful about what they keep to themselves and what they make a known fact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky I read this because im always on Facebook at work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very interesting and is a very strong arguement for job opportunity. Facebook and twitter is used 24 hours of the day. We all need to be smart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last job I had, the coworkers had looked me up on Facebook right after the interview. It happens these days! a lot! I've never been the one to "update my status" though, so I think that is what ultimately got me the job in a way. Never put up anything stupid on there.

    ReplyDelete